Friday, October 18, 2013

Sara& the Music Festival

I have been to one music festival in my life, and since it was held in a parking lot I do not consider that a music festival at all. It was Warped Tour, and was the first time I really bonded with my dear friend, Hunter, but as I was with a horde of people and not what I would consider an “adult” I am calling that this does not count as a music festival. A parking lot full of weirdos seems like a more fitting title.





I’ve lived in the music capital since 2010, and have never been to a festival. By some twist of fate, my name got drawn in a contest at work and I ended up with a wristband for week two of
Austin City Limits. I smiled a lot, and maybe sang a weird song about my changing luck in my car, and then remembered that all of my friends went on the first weekend. I would have to sell my ticket.


But wait just a minute, the always-right-ever-annoying voice chimed. “Aren’t you an adventurer? An explorer? Don’t you want more than anything the wind in your tangled tresses, the sun singing freckles across your nose and shoulders? Don’t you whine endlessly about how you are not an adult and cannot handle simple tasks alone?” And so, forced into submission by my own self, I requested the weekend off work, and planned out my festival schedule.





The first day I lucked into a ride. Ms. T dropped me off a few blocks from the park and I sauntered my high waisted shorts right through the bag check, scanned my arm like a futuristic hippie, and entered.


And I had a complete blast.


I watched Thao and the Get Down Stay Down rock out so hard that Thao broke her mandolin (after which she shouted “welcome to folk rock motherf*****s), saw the sun set behind the lead singer of Vampire Weekends Babar jean jacket, danced with energetic strangers who offered me wine from a water bottle during Local Natives, sat on my blanket eating tacos while I listened to Jimmy Eat World replay moments from my early teenage years, let the rain soak through my clothes waiting for Purity Ring.


But the best part -- the absolute most amazing thing, is that I didn’t feel sad or lonely or wish for someone else even once. In fact, I almost felt bothered when someone watched Okkervil River next to me. I danced, and laughed, and smiled, and drank a LOT of water, and when I needed a break I just spread out my blanket and sat down, or lie watching the clouds pass by. It was my day, and I have to say, I couldn’t have found a better person to spend the day with than sweet, kind, considerate, taco-loving, little old me.

Bonus photo of Kelsey Wilson from Wild Child on stage with Shakey Graves Saturday:


No comments:

Post a Comment